1851 - The first service was held in the cabin of William Petit which was located on the corner where the Public Library now stands. The mission service was attended by five people.
1856 - A church building was constructed on the corner of North and Court streets at a cost of $2000. Formal recognition was given by the Clerk of Court records as the "Methodist Episcopal Church."
1869 - The Women's Foreign Missionary Society originated. This cause has been carried on throughout the years by names such as "The Ladies Aid," The Women's Society of Christian Service," and presently "The United Methodist Women."
1888 - The church was remodeled and a parsonage was purchased.
1904 - The church was moved to its present location on North Court Street, a block south of the old location. The building was enlarged in 1906.
1915 - The Epworth League was organized for young people.
1924 - On December 21st, during Sunday service, the wooden church caught fire and burned to the ground. All children and adults were evacuated without harm.
1926 - A new church was constructed of brick and mortar, with a bell tower and stained glass windows. The cost was $85000. At the October 31st Sunday service, the new church was dedicated.
1927 - On April 7th, a special ddedication was held for the gift of a wonderful pipe organ. Senator and Mrs. Howard Teasdale were honored for their donation of this instrument.
1944 - The Methodist Church celebrated a milestone when on October 1st, the Reverend Ernest Clarke held a mortgage burning ceremony.